Donna's Barbecue Sauce

I have had this recipe for 40 years and LOVE it...Maybe you will too if you like yours, Sweet and Saucy!
See in the recipe where it says 3 medium onions?  Well, I've since changed that to adding ONE packet of Lipton's Dry Onion Soup Mix.  I like it a Lot better.  Of course, you can experiment for yourselves to see which one you prefer.
Add all ingredients to your pan....
Turn on the heat...Now, do your FIRST taste test.  Not sweet enough?  Add more syrup.  I like Johnny Fair waffle syrup...You may like a pure maple product but Goodness, the real stuff is Expensive!
Bring it to a boil, BUT!!!  Be careful to watch the pot!  This stuff will boil over quickly!  Now, see the pot below?  See the line above the mixture?  That's where it was Before I cooked the sauce "down".  Once it came to a boil, I cut the heat to low and let it reduce (cook the water out) for about an hour...keeping a close eye on it and giving an occasional stir AND, TASTE! It's SO important for you to be tasting as you add things.    IF the sauce is too thin for you after you reduce it, keep cooking it...I've gone as long as two and a half hours before.  I know it seems like a long time to labor over a pot of sauce but...I think it's worth it.  
Now, all you need to do is TASTE it one final time...Happy with it?  Cut the heat off and let it cool off enough so you can put it in a container OR, decorated jars to give away as gifts. 
Hope you all enjoy this recipe as much as our family has.  It can ALSO be used as a marinade!  Just put your beef or chicken in a Ziploc bag, pour in a LITTLE of the sauce and squish the bag all around until the meat is coated.  Then refrigerate overnight.  You can ALSO....cut up whole onions and green bell peppers  into quarters, put into another Ziploc bag...pour in enough sauce just to coat the veggies and marinade alongside the meat for 24 hours.
Experiment!  Do it Your way and make this sauce Your "family tradition"!  

Comments

Faery said…
This recipe sounds great Donna, I will try but with onions ... the lipton mix is kind of an alien on earth in my country hahah I loved your mom's mustard sauce and it is a favorite here Michele simply loves it with pork chops
Donna said…
Oh Good Claudia! Hope you enjoy it. The onion works just as well but you might try cutting back a bit on the amount of onions you add.
hughugs
Donna said…
That sounds sweet and saucy, just like you! ~your admirer, Marty~
Donna said…
Awwww.... thanks Marty!!
Hughugs
Sally said…
Wow - I missed this. Sounds and looks SO good. The only change I'd make? Leave out the tobasco and double the beer! :)

xoxo
Crystal said…
Call it the mammy sauce!

Popular Posts